What You Need to Know About Car Maintenance
Basic maintenance can help save you a lot of time, money and aggravation, as it can decrease and prevent the chance of a breakdown from happening. Here are some basic checks that you can easily do and that will only take a minimal amount of time.
The basic safety checks that you need to be doing are:
- Ensure all exterior lights are functioning and in good condition.
- Inspect all glass surfaces for chips, cracks and scratches.
- Ensure that the horn works (beep! beep!)
- Perform a practical test of the handbrake: does it hold on a steep hill?
- Make sure that all seatbelts have no ware, damage or deterioration. Test out the locking mechanism to ensure that everything holds securely.
- Inspect the tyres and check their pressure, condition and tread wear.
- Inspect all fluid levels, and top up as necessary.
Get it Serviced
When you don’t get your car serviced regularly as it needs to be you are going to cause damage and wear to your engine. Regular car servicing by a professional mechanic can keep your vehicle running in optimal condition and prevent serious damage and future issues.
Give it Fluids
It’s an easy thing to forget, as well as an easy thing to do. Giving your car the fluids that it needs for all of its different components is such an essential regular maintenance to do and one that you need to ensure you don’t forget. This includes, engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, power steering fluid, brake and clutch fluid, windshield washer fluid and battery fluid.
Do It All Again!
Taking it in to see the mechanic REGULARLY will also help pick up any faults and problems early before they become a major issue and expense. Carrying out mechanical repairs as soon as a problem is identified keeps your car running smoothly and trouble free for the important times you rely on getting safely from A to B, or in the course of your business.
A proactive approach to maintaining your vehicle is always more cost effective and saves time compared with reacting to a major breakdown creating an additional inconvenience to you. Give TRS Auto Repairs a call or drop in to our Southport workshop on the Gold Coast where one of our trained mechanics can assess your vehicle and discuss with you any mechanical repairs that need to be carried out. You can ask any questions and we will provide all the information you need so that you are 100% happy before we commence any work on your vehicle.