How to Change a Car Battery
We know they don’t last forever, but when it comes time to replace the old battery with a new one doing it yourself can feel daunting. To help, here are some expert mechanic’s easy-to-follow steps on how you can change your car battery.
1. Make sure that a weakening or dead battery is definitely the problem. You don’t want to spend money on a replacement and the time to change it if the issue isn’t with the battery at all. Make sure you try recharging the old one for at least 30 minutes first to see if that fixes the issue. You should also check the alternator.
2. Read the cars manual to ensure you are buying the correct size and model replacement. It is imperative you buy the correctly fitting and electrical capacity replacement, otherwise damage can occur.
3. Be smart and stay safe when removing the old battery. Don’t smoke, have a cleared, clean area and put on the parking brake. Even though it no longer has enough power to start your car, it will still have an electrical charge and is dangerous.
4. Locate the positive and negative terminals that are attached to the battery, and identify which is which. Positive will have a plus sign and is often red, and the negative will have a minus sign and is often black.
5. Disconnect the negative terminal, by loosening the clamp and sliding it off. You must do the negative first, so as to not damage your vehicle.
6. Disconnect the positive terminal, and remove the car battery by unfastening the holder and removing any screws.
7. If the terminals or cables are dirty, clean them first before inserting the replacement. Make sure the area is completely dry before continuing.
8. Place in the new battery and connect the positive and negative terminals (positive first) to the correct sides. Reconnect all the screws, clams and holders that are in place.
9. Shut the hood and start the car. Ensure all of the accessories and electronics are functioning as they should. Also, make sure to dispose of the old battery correctly, as you cannot through it away like normal everyday garbage.
If you are still not sure how to replace your battery correctly, or want to bring it in a professional mechanics to ensure the job is done correctly, then give TRS Auto Repairs a call. Our team of mechanics at our Gold Coast workshop can ensure your battery replacement is done expertly and at the same time ensure that there are no other issues or concerns with your vehicle and its engine. We can take care of all of your vehicle maintenance, car repair, car service and mechanical needs.